Thanksgiving dinner schedule
November 20, 2019
Thanksgiving Weekly Breakdown
Do you know how to create a cooking schedule for your Thanksgiving feast? Well I’ve got a few ideas on how to schedule everything to make it a successful event.
Monday before Thanksgiving:
- Buy all canned goods.
- Polish your silver pieces.
- Clean wine and water glasses.
- Launder all table cloths and napkins.
- Iron table cloths and napkins.
- Write out place card holders.
- Make snack baskets for guests who are coming from out of town and staying in hotels.
- Assess your Thanksgiving cooking supplies (roasting pans, basting brush, turkey baster, serving pieces.
- Buy containers that will hold your prepped food.
- Buy containers for leftover’s – your guests will thank you for it.
Tuesday before Thanksgiving:
- Begin to thaw the turkey in the refrigerator.
- Buy perishable groceries (this can be done on Wednesday as well).
- Green beans.
- Potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash and yams.
- Onions, garlic and leeks.
- Breads for stuffing.
- Pie ingredients.
- Fresh citrus fruits.
- Lettuce (buy heartier lettuces like romaine, endive and curly endive to ensure good quality for Thanksgiving).
- Fresh herbs.
- Buy or make dinner rolls that can be cooked the morning of Thanksgiving.
- Buy all beverages.
- Drinks for kids.
- Buy 5 to 10 pounds of ice.
Wednesday before Thanksgiving:
- Time to start prepping.
- Brine the turkey.
- Remove the stems from the green beans.
- Cut up the bread and vegetables for the stuffing.
- Make all of the pies.
- Make the cranberry sauce (it will be better the second day).
- Bundle herbs for the turkey (all you have to do is place it in the turkey).
- Make the salad dressing.
- Set the table with glasses, place cards and silverware.
- Lay out all of the serving pieces. For an even more organized meal, label each piece with the item being served.
- Create your centerpiece for the table.
- Cook your turkey (your turkey can be done at least an hour before your ready to eat, just reheat it when it’s time to eat).
- Slice, clean and bake the squash .
- Peel, boil and mash the potatoes with butter and cream. (Peeling can be a family affair).
- Blanch green beans in the morning and finish cooking right before service.
- Saute the vegetables and bread for stuffing. Bake either in or out of the turkey.
- Make the salad and place a slightly damp towel over the top until you’re ready to serve.
- Ice down all of the drinks.
- Place everything on serving trays and you’re ready to go.