Three cheese risotto
Three cheese risotto is a creamy grown up rice dish. It of courser can be served to children but it tends to be too rich for them. Risotto is made with a grain called arborio rice which is a short grain rice that can be
purchased in bulk at the grocery store in the rice section. Risotto can be tricky the first time you make it, so if this is your first time low and slow is the best way to cook it and make sure to not over stir. If you stir too much and too hard the end result will look like mush.
- 1 c Arborio rice
- 1 small yellow onion, small diced
- ¼ c white wine and a glass for you while you cook!
- 6 c chicken stock warmed
- ½ Stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, pecorino
- ¼ cup grueyer cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pot add a little bit of the olive oil and sauté the onions.
- Make sure that they are glossy, aromatic and soft.
- Next heat the chicken stock in another pot. (I always forget to do this, but it is really important because it allows the rice to cooks faster.)
- Next stir in the Arborio rice into the pot with the onions.
- Use a chef pinch of salt and toast slightly.
- When the rice is toasted, take the pot off the fire and add the wine, place it back on the fire and reduce.
- Wait for the wine to cook into the rice and then slowly begin to add your heated chicken stock. (Make sure the heat is on medium low)
- Stir with a flat edged spoon. This will help to scrape the rice from the bottom of the pot.
- Continue to slowly add the chicken stock until the rice is soft but not mushy.
- When the rice is cooked correctly you should be able to press the grain between two fingers and reveal three dots.
- Stir the cheese and butter into the rice.
- Top with cracked fresh pepper and grated cheese. Serve.
If you liked this recipe try our pineapple rice! It’s one of our favorites.
Let us know what your favorite rice recipe is, we want to know.