Fried zucchini and onion rings
Zucchini and onions are everywhere during the summer months. We love them lightly battered and fried with a hint of spicy seasoning. They are delicious as a side dish or an appetizer. We hope you enjoy this recipe and please share it with your friends.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ tablespoon paprika
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- 1 bottle of canola oil
- 1-tablespoon Creole seasonings
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the zucchini into 2-inch sticks. Cut the onion into ½ inch rings (don’t forget to peel and remove the skin of the onion).
- Begin heating your oil on a medium heat in a large pot or deep fryer.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs and the milk and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl whisk together the flour, paprika, salt and pepper.
- In small batches coat the onion and zucchini in the egg mixture first and then the flour mixture.
- Once everything is coated use one zucchini stick and add it to the oil to see if the oil is hot enough. You will know if the oil is hot enough because bubbles will immediately surround the zucchini.
- When the fryer is ready cook both the onion rings and zucchini in small batches for 6 minutes or until they are a light golden brown. When you remove them from the fryer set them on paper towels to catch the excess grease.
- Season the fried zucchini and onion rings with salt, pepper and Creole seasonings.
If you liked this recipe you might also like fried artichokes and the aioli in the artichoke recipe would be a delicious dip for these onion rings and zucchinis.
Are you following Mary on Twitter @chefmarymoran