Carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting
Carrot cupcakes, for those who don’t know are moist, sweet and wonderful and despite that they are made from carrot really don’t taste at all like a raw carrot from the fridge. I am not going to lie, shredding carrots takes elbow grease but it is worth the effort and it’s a great way to get some good veggies into you and your families diet.
Questions you may ask:
Is it ok to use pre shredded carrots at the grocery store?
I am sorry to tell you but no, they will be too thick, flavors and hard for these succulent cupcakes.
Can I use baby carrots?
I wouldn’t recommend it but if it’s all you have go for it but know that whole carrots will be much better. First of all, they will have a lot more flavor because they haven’t been water-logged and second of all , the will be difficult shred because they are so small.
What size should I make the shreds of carrot?
I recommend the carrot strips be thin and I highly recommend this microplane star grate it is a great inexpensive product that will get the job done and you will use it a ton after you’ve made the cupcakes.
How is this a freezer food?
You can always make cupcakes with out icing and put them in an air tight Ziplock bag and freeze them for up to 6 months. Thaw and then ice when you’re ready to eat them.
Now moving onto the recipe:
- 2 cups of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of butter, melted
- 1/2 cup of canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups carrots, shredded
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/4 cup cream cheese, whipped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
Directions for the cupcake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl add the butter, oil, eggs and mix.
- Next add the sugar, vanilla and carrots and mix.
- Add the flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and mix well.
- Pour into a muffin tin that has been lined with muffin/cupcake cups.
- Spray the top with nonstick spray if your pan is not non stick.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick when placed in the middle of the cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the pan and let cool for half an hour and then ice with the cream cheese frosting.
Directions for the icing:
- In a mixing bowl add the butter and cream cheese.
- Use a rubber spatula and whip the butter into the cream cheese.
- Add the vanilla extract and slowly add the powdered sugar.
- Incorporate all of the powdered sugar and after it’s finished mix in the milk if you feel the icing is too thick.
- Take 2 spoonfuls and of the icing and add green food coloring to one and orange food coloring to the other and pipe out little carrots.
- Time to ice.
Don’t forget to let us know what your favorite dessert to make is.