Making an apple pie from scratch isn’t for everyone, but if you’re one of those brave ones that want to do it this recipe is for you. Before your pie comes out of the oven let me tell you about this recipe- the crust is lightly to almost not sweet because of two reasons 1. the apples are very sweet
and 2. I always serve pie with sweet vanilla ice cream. Thus, my pie crust isn’t as sweet as others but don’t worry it is delicious!
p.s. you can also make this pie and leave it uncooked in your freezer and then bake it for your next dinner party!
Ingredients for filling
- 6 cups Fuji apples
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1-teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1-tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
Ingredients for crust
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- 1-teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- A pinch of salt
Directions for filling
- Peel and core apples.
- Cut them into 1/2” thick slices.
- Add butter to a large pot and melt it on a medium heat.
- Add the apples and cook them for 2-3 minutes until they are coated with butter.
- Then add the sugar, vanilla and lemon juices. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Then add the cornstarch and finish cooking for another 5 minutes or until the liquid has thickened.
- Set aside.
Directions for piecrust
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt, sugar and cinnamon to the bowl.
- Then cut cold butter into the flour until it looks like wet sand.
- Add cold water and 1 egg and continue to mix and lightly form the dough into a ball.
- Let the dough rest for 10 minutes wrapped in plastic in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven.
- Cut the dough into two and roll both out to circles that will fit in the pie pan.
Finishing the pie
- Spray a non-stick spray all over a pie pan and then place the first piecrust into the pan.
- Allow the dough to fall over the sides.
- Fill the pan with the apples and then place the second circle on top of the apples.
- Use your fingers and seal the edges of the pie (I usually inch the dough).
- Then use a pairing knife and cut four 1″ vent holes in the middle of the pie (I made it to look like a flower).
- Last but not least use the remaining egg to wash the pie, so whisk the egg well and brush it all over the top and sides of the pie.
- Bake the pie at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes.